Monday, July 9, 2007

Monday ~ A Day out with the Girls



I enjoy a day out with the girls now and then - the girls being my daughter and my sister. The three of us can have the best time! I have been known to pull over to the shoulder of the road because I laugh so hard I can't see. Today was one of those days. My daughter started her vacation today and wanted to go all around southside Virginia and hit all the thrift stores and antique stores.

We started out early and it is a good thing we did. This country gal doesn't get lost - as long as I have gas in my car I don't consider myself lost, I am just enjoying the backroads scenery. So, today we were enjoying the backroads of Callands, Swansonville and Chatham, Va. We eventually made our way to the lovely historic town of Lynchburg, Va. If you are ever in that fair city I can highly recommend the DAV and the Goodwill. And don't forget to stop at Antiques to Envy on the south side of Lynchburg, Circle A Antiques in Rustburg, Bittersweet in Altavista and the Goodwill in Tightsqueeze, all in Southside Virginia on Hwy 29.

I found this wonderful old Singer . . . and it works great too! After a little looking online, I found that it was manufactured in the 1940's. It came with a stool with accessories in it's seat. The cabinet is in fair shape, still sturdy, just needs a little touch ups from water marks. For $10.00 I think I did better than good!


We found all sorts of little what nots and can't live withouts, ate a nice lunch and headed back towards Rockingham County. We turned the radio up and sang even louder.

We laughed at ourselves and everyone else. It was a good day to be alive. Wish we could always have days like these. Since we can't we save up our pennies for a while until we have enough for gasoline, lunch and enough to not feel guilty about a splurge. We are trying to figure out where we will journey next girls day out.

Since none of us have enough energy to cook dinner for our hubbys, guess who will be eating 'mater sammiches tonite?


A merry heart doeth good like a medicine
Proverbs 17:22

3 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

What could be a more perfect day than antiquing and secondhand shopping with a lunch in between??

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

What a perfect day!!! Hopefully y'all will have many more.
Ooooh and the best part... a tomater sandwich! Yum!
~Peanut

Anonymous said...

born in lynchburg. went to va tech.
now in the big nyc. take me home.
mater sandwitch is better than just a mayo sandwitch.