Monday, September 8, 2008

How to Build a Snowman . . .

Last fall I did a really quick and natural tutorial on how to make a wreath. This morning when the birdies were still sleeping, I woke up with an itch to paint something. I decided to share my morning with you. This is an oober simple project. I have used a piece of wood that I actually found! It was with a few others that appeared to be mistakes but worked great for me! Oops, I guess you know now that I like to dumpster dive occasionally.

How to build a snowman:

First find a piece of wood that would hang nicely on your wall. Here's the one that I am re-purposing:

I sanded it smoothly, blew off the dust and proceeded to paint it black
Because I am always in a hurry to finish a project, I used a blow dryer to complete the drying process. Then I used a white colored pencil to draw some eyes like this:

Next step is the fun part. I used an antique white paint and a scruffy brush. I began to pounce around the perimeter in a circle and around the eyes, leaving them black, like this:
Kind of looks like a mask, doesn't it? You can make the eyes in any shape you like, and if you feel like you want more white than I have shown, go for it. I liked this texture for myself. Next two steps are combined because I forgot to take two photos. Told you I was in a hurry!

You want to squirt out some orange for the nose; Take a round brush and make lines down the middle for the nose . . . . and then ~ pounce some of the orange with a bit of the antique white. Pounce on your pad to blend. then make cheeks - it should look something like this:


Next, dip your brush nib into the antique white and make two dots for eyes. You will also need to pour a wee bit more of the black to make the mouth. It should look like this when you have done it:


Next step - we're almost done ~ pour a bit more of the antique white. Using a fine round brush - I don't know what size - whatever fits your hand good - I am not good at knowing what numbers are which with brushes - I paint by the seat of my britches most of the time - Anyhow, I have painted a saying on the sign. You may want to use your white colored pencil to get the spacing right - Here's mine:


Next step is the funnest step of all - Take a toothbrush and dip it in the antique white paint. Using your finger, splay it around for a snowy effect over the snowman and words.

After it's good and dry, seal with a matte sealer, and put a hanger on the back. Voila! easiest project I have done in a while! Enjoy!!

12 comments:

Flora said...

Hey that looks so very Christmasy!!!! Great tutorial Blondie! BTW I was just talking to the lady who does these banners!!!! Yours is so beautiful!!!
Blessings,Flora

Anonymous said...

Lovely one Blondie. I keep looking at a new Christmas ideas booklet I bought, but I'm determinedly working at Autumn still.

Doreen Frost said...

oooo..I can't wait for snow...you are getting me in the mood for it!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hope you are feeling better.

Hugs ♥ Doreen

Amy said...

I love him. I adore snowmen!
Great job!!
Amy

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

This is adorable Blonde One I love it!!
Been thinking of you... :> )
~Peanut

Sherry said...

How clever is that? Thanks for the idea...love it!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Turned out just great!!!!! Now I want to paint something! Thanks for giving me an umph push here. LOVED your post about your parents, too! Glad I stopped by today as you always make me smile!!!!

Cora

Tina said...

It's a cutie!
nice job
T

KKJD1 said...

So cute! I will have to try to do one of these for my mom, she loves snowmen. Her B-day is in Nov. so I can give it to her as a b-day gift.
Hows your mom? Hope all is well. I have been really busy with boys schooling so I have not been able to blog. Sure miss you! Hope you have a great weekend. xxoo!
Blessings, Karen

KKJD1 said...

Just wanted to stop in and say hello and let you know I was thinking about you. Have a great week! Blessings, Karen

JennaLouiseCreates said...

Thanks for this wonderful little project! Very fun! Jenna Louise

Sandra said...

I love yout blog..hope you don't mind but added your link to my favorites on my blogger..