Wednesday, January 30, 2008


My Mom's a great cook. Seriously good. Growing up in the Great Depression she learned to be frugal. She still is. She knew how to make a recipe without wasting one ingredient. She knew which recipes to double so that there would be enough for seconds AND some to be frozen.
Friday night was our tv dinner night. When I was a little girl, she would save those aluminum tv dinner trays and re-use them for our own homemade frozen dinners. That was of course before the age of microwaves. We always loved those special dinners. We would stand in front of the Frigedaire and peruse the offerings as if we were in the grocers. There was spaghetti with two meatballs, meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy and if we were lucky creamed corn! Succulent roast beef, fried chicken, fried catfish, you name it, Mom's freezer was always a bounty of yummy delicacies.
She still makes her own tv dinners, although always thoroughly modern and up with the times, she now saves her microwavables to keep the leftovers in.
Yesterday as I was making spaghetti, I was reminded of this as I was carefully saving some meatballs for the freezer.
Thanks Mom for being a great teacher. Betty Crocker would be proud.

5 comments:

Donna said...

My Mom also bought the TV Dinners. My favorite was the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and corn!(naturally)LOL
What a sweet tribute to your Mom..hughug

Betty said...

Mmmm. I can almost smell my mom's roast. She doesn't cook anymore just tells me how to do it. LOL

tattered 'n torn prims said...

TV dinners were the meal of choice when my brother was in charge of babysitting me...he was 9 yrs older but never quite got the meal completely cooked....YUM...half frozen fried chicken and mashed potatoes....The funny thing is....I loved those evenings and we still laugh over all the things we did back then!! I'm lucky to still be alive!! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that your Mom's t.v. dinners were much tastier than anything you buy in a box! In my experience, anything that comes frozen in a box is usually a disappointment and the contents bear little resemblance to the picture!

Thanks for stopping by to say hello Blondie ~ I am so busy at the moment that I hardly have time to write a post, let alone read and comment on other blogs!

Have a wonderful weekend

Marie x

SweetAnnee said...

LOL

you brought up memories of
Sunday roast..and usually a
baked goody..
My dad cooked the food, my
mom baked the sweets..
Oh such comfort!!

wonderful post, Deena