Sunday, June 22, 2008

I normally would reserve this for a BCC Forward but thought I might actually reach more
women this way for this cause. I did receive this as a forward actually. If you have a blog, please consider posting this. At the very least forward it.
Thanks!!!

From a nurse:
I'll never forget the look in my
patients' eyes when I had to tell them they had to go home with the
drains, new exercises and no breast. I remember begging the Doctors to
keep these women in the hospital longer, only to hear that they would,
but their hands were tied by the insurance companies. So there I sat
with my patients, giving them the instructions they needed to take care
of themselves, knowing full well they didn't grasp half of what I was
saying, because the glazed, hopeless, frightened look spoke louder than
the quiet 'Thank You' they muttered. A mastectomy is when a w oman 's
breast is removed in order to remove cancerous breast cells/tissue. If
you know anyone who has had a Mastectomy, you may know that there is a
lot of discomfort and pain afterwards. Insurance companies are trying to
make mastectomies an outpatient procedure. Let's give women the chance
to recover properly in the hospital for 2 days after surgery.

It takes 2 seconds to do this and is
very important. Please take the time and do it! Please send this to
everyone in your address book. If there was ever a time when our voices
and choices should be heard, this is one of those times.

If you're receiving this, it's because I
think you will take the 30 seconds to vote on this issue and send it on
to others you know who will do the same. There's a bill called the
Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which will require insurance
companies to cove r a minimum 48 -hour hospital stay for patients
undergoing a mastectomy. It's about eliminating the 'drive-through'
Mastectomy where women are forced to go home just a few hours after
surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from
anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.

Lifetime Television has put this bill on
their Web page with a petition drive to show support. Last year over
half the House signed on. PLEASE!! Sign the petition by clicking on the
web site below. You need not give more than your name, state, and zip
code.

click here

1 comment:

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Yikes!!!!!!

Now here I am, waiting for a call frm a surgeon, as I'm looking forward to this being done on ME!!!!!

My friend went through the hysterectomy and was sent home with all the drains, etc. After the drains came out, I had to help pack the continuing drain that had opened up. It meant lots of hand washing, sterile environment, cleansing, washing the "hole", packing it, etc., etc. for weeks. It meant endless trips back to the surgeon's office, etc. So I know a little of what I'm in for. It's a shame, isn't it????? Cora