Monday, February 18, 2008

A Cozy in anticipation of Spring . . .

I know I am not the only one that anticipates each season! I love each season and each month (oh, wait a minute, I don't like August!) Anyhow, just last week we had a lovely little snowfall and today it is almost 60 degrees. The wind is blowing as if it is March already! We have daffodils peeking their heads up and the Easter grass is coming up too! Makes me want to hurry up and lose weight!! Betty, are we there yet????
I enjoy happy colors. I like things that are borderline bright. Yellow has always been my favorite crayon, along with purple, red and robin egg blue. Oh, and I adore lime green. This afternoon while going through my stash of fat quarters I decided to make a little cover for my recycled veggie cans. Yes, I recycle almost everything. They make great pencil holders, little pots for seedlings and rootings - they are the right size for a lot of things! Sometimes I paint them and put rick rack around them or glue buttons on them. But today, well, today, I felt like making a pencil cozy.

First thing you need to do is find a can. Measure the circumference and double it. That will give you your length. Then measure the height of the can. I like a ruffly effect so I added an extra 2 inches.

After pressing, I sew two seams at the top and two at the bottom. These are for the elastic casing. When the seams are sewn, simply use a saftey pin and pull the elastic through the casing. Now this isn't rocket science. To get the right amount of elastic, just measure the circumference again and then minus a little bit. You want it to fit snugly but not so tight you can't fit your can in it. (I guess I should remember that when I try to buy jeans?)

After you have secured the elastic, it is time to sew up the side seam and fit your recycled can into it's new little cozy.

I remember my Granny doing this for flower pots back in the day. I may have to do that for some of the Easter Grass (the proper name is Bethelem Star) I plan on digging up very soon!

15 comments:

Donna said...

Know What?? I'm gonna Do this!! Yes, I Am!! When I get it done, I'll shoot a pic of it, and come grab you, so you can see!!

tattered 'n torn prims said...

Flash back....my nephew made one of these for hubby and I when we got married....he was probably 4 or 5 at the time!! I just might need to make some of these!! I bet he'd like one now....he's 27 and in grad-school!! LOL!!
Stacey

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi gals,
yep, this is so easy the geico cavemen could do it. My motto is simple things for simple minds. And it satisfies the yearning for instant gratification!
Go for it!

Alice Regan said...

What a wonderfully clever idea. I just went through my bill paying basket and ended up with a can full of pens. I'll have to try this one. Thanks. And...yes, I see just a glimpse of spring.

Lone Pierette said...

Hi Blondie - I will make one too -
or maybe two !

Anonymous said...

"Oh Blondie, I love this idea!!" I will have to give it try.."not quite sure how it will turn out though?"

Thank you for Visiting me!! Missed ya something fierce! You have a lot to look at on your side bar, I will go snoop around a bit..lol!
XOXO
Jeannene

shweetpotato said...

How cute and clever oh my!! Will have to search through my fabric for some pretty spring color :D Carm

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi Ladies,
Glad that you like this idea! We shall all have loverly recycled cozies soon! I had to make one for my sis and my daughter - shhh, don't tell Sarah. Sarah! Close your eyes!

Sarah said...

Lovin this mom! Need to make some for my flower pots...oh wait...all mine are HUGE! hehe...we'll have to work on this one Lady ;)
-Face*

Doreen Frost said...

I made one of these in school...we use to always make things from cans in elementary school and in
4-H...gosh it brings back good memories...I LOVED 4-H...I can remember making a pin cusion out of a tuna can...that was one of my favorites..that an a smock apron we made and I showed at the county fair..Maybe I'll make an apron soon.

Thanks so much my dear friend for the inspirations....In so many ways.

~Hugs
Doreen

CraBBy GaBBy said...

How adorable Blondie..love it!! the colors are very spring indeed..now..send me your 60 degree weather asap...it is a giant skate rink here. I am offically wintered out!

Courtney Short said...

oh lawd! My husband is going to kill me if I stockpile anything else - but I love the idea of recycling the veggie cans. My MIL bought me one of those can openers that doesn't produce a rough edge..you cozy is cute as a button.

Suzanne said...

How cute! And yes, Oh Yes! I'm ready for Spring!!

Amy said...

Blondie,
These pencil cozies are so cute. I love the comment about the "can" and fiting into jeans!!!
Amy

Lynn said...

How sweet is that little cozy, great job Blondie :) I love your primitive creations, you create amazing faces on your dolls.
Have a great weekend!