Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pickles, Gourds, Seeds and Me

As you probably have figured out by now, I love to grow things. I prefer to grow from seed, but, gosh I am human and fall prey to flower pots in the garden center. But I don't buy the pretty ones. Nope, not me. I always go to the back section where on a black metal rack are the sick, dried out lifeless specimens that are being sold because they need TLC. My husband thinks I have some horse trader in my family gene pool because I have no pride whatsoever about dancing those distressed, nearly lifeless pots to the garden manager. I must have a way of shaming them with my total look of disbelief that they would charge me (or anyone else) for something that they had neglected to death! Most times, they will give me these poor things that need a good long drink of water and fresh soil. Some live, some are too stressed to survive, but most will give me seed.
Last year I was on one such jaunt and came across a small pack of what was marked cucumbers. Now I make a mean hot dog relish and that requires cucumbers. Family and friends bring the empty mason jars back for refills. So, looking at the sad cucumbers, I thought of relish. Once more, the garden manager met me and said, M'am, if you can get a Straight 8 out of these, I would like to see one! Smiling, I assured him I would be delighted.
I watched with hope as the plants grew. The problem was, they weren't cukes. They we
re gourds. Now anyone that knows me, knows that I LOVE gourds. I make birdhouses, fence decorations, doll heads, bowls, so many endless possibilities with the curcubita family. Another bonus with gourds are the amount of seeds that they produce! I always have more than enough to share with friends near and far.

Hoping that they were a long neck dipper, I knew as soon as they started to round out that they were the common gooseneck.


Within each seed head is a multitude of seed. Each one seed produces a multitude of more seed. And each seed produces what it is meant to. All they need is a little water, soil and sunlight. We are all sowers. We sow into each other's lives various seeds. Love, friendship, encouragement, laughter ~ I want to sow good seed. And if I think I am sowing one seed and it turns into another plant - like my cuke to gourd incident - I hope that what is produced is a happy bonus. (Matthew 13:1-23)










3 comments:

Cookie said...

Amen Sister - you always have a way with words and you live your life by example!
You are indeed a Proverbs 31 woman - and a great blessing to me!
x0
cook

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Blondie darlin', I bet those stressed plants breath a sigh of relief when you come into the store. They know you will nurture and care for them. I bet if they had a lil' pair of legs, they'd all march their way right into your car. :>)
~Peanut

sewprimitive karen said...

I love gourds. Have them both outside and inside.